Saturday, August 6, 2011

Summer Fun

Wow. I can't remember the last time I actually blogged.....you know, the posts that weren't just a picture of the kids. Sometimes, I put a little note in there, but that's about all I can usually muster. Generally, time and brain waves don't seem to sync up. I often think of funny things to blog, but then by the time I make it to the computer to do it, the thought has evaporated into never, never land, which is also known as my brain. Thankfully, I get wistful comments (aka passive aggressive comments) every now and then from some about the lag in pictures and updates....otherwise, our kids lives would not be documented. I do so love looking back on the blog and reading about what we used to do w/ just one kid. Truthfully, it helps me remember what to do now....since I forget every time. How did I potty train? How did I get Rachel to sleep through the night at 10 weeks? As we embark on homeschooling this fall, hopefully, I'll remember to blog about it.....otherwise, I'll never remember what I did if/when we get to homeschooling the other two.

Thankfully, Haylee didn't wait too long to sleep through the night.....she did it the night she turned 11 weeks:-) We had one relapse night, but last night, after feeding her at 7:45, she slept 8:30 to 7:30:-) She is such a big, smiley, and sweet girl. I would appreciate not being spit up on so much, but she's so sweet and huggable! At ~8 weeks, she weighed 14lb 11 oz.....I'm pretty sure at almost 12 weeks, she's weighing around 16lb. We'll see in September when she goes in for her 4 mo appointment. I could step on the scale and try to figure out the difference.....but I'd have to be inspired to step on the scale and I'd also need to find time to weigh Haylee - in between all of the chaos. So, I figure it's better to guesstimate:-)

So, I'm finally starting to get out a little bit. But every time I try to take the kids out of the house, I'm reminded why I don't go anywhere. After getting out of the house twice this week, I wound up purchasing lunch on the way home, due to running later than planned. So, there goes the budget and there goes our health;-) Then, I'm either completely overheated OR I wind up w/ many bugbites. The bugs got us today. We walked up the street, back down the street, and played w/ sidewalk chalk. When we went inside, Rachel, Naomi, and I averaged about 4 bugbites each. Thank goodness for my benadryl stick.....especially since Naomi and I swell up. Maybe once fall comes, we'll actually venture out more. This year has firmly cemented in my mind that I am not a summer person. I like the idea of swimming and summer fun, but I'm really not comfortable until it's around 60 degrees again.

And speaking of heat and staying in the AC, getting out and about with the kids is now a lot easier w/ AC in the van. Being without AC in our van for at least 3 weeks (with no prospect of getting our AC back) really made me stick to the AC in our house.....especially since it was at least 100 degrees every day. When I was a kid, I used to think it was so fun to have the windows down in the car.....to let my hair whip around (and form giant knots!) and (when I got a window seat - being the youngest and only girl is not an advantage when it comes to sitting by the window) putting my arm/hand out the window and letting the breeze push it back. Yeah, that stuff is not so fun as an adult. And you know it's really hot when your sweaty 4 year old asks you to put the air on......at the time, I didn't actually find that question very helpful (or funny);-)

Well, I am happy that it's August.....it means we're one month close to fall. Can.not.wait. Some wait all year long for the hot summer. I wait all year long for the cool fall.....for sweaters, quilts, hot coffee (yes, I drink this year round but it tastes better in the cooler months), pie, cinnamon rolls, Thanksgiving, Christmas shopping, fall foliage, jeans, shoes, puffy vests, scarfs, and the list goes on and on. Yes, fall is better. I don't care if it puts us one step closer to winter. I'll still take it.

Here's some pictures from OBX.....while I'm thinking about it!

Fox in Socks puts me to sleep too sometimes:-)
 Grandma gives good baths in the sink!




1 comment:

Katy said...

Yay, love the update! I too am eager and excited for the change of seasons, and all the invigorating briskness of fall. Love the new whole family photo too!