Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Our Happy Home

Well, at times today, I wished that I would have great news that we double-checked a house today and an offer was on it's way through. However, as it seems w/ all the houses that we have liked and thought we could see ourselves in (one I even mapped out Christmas tree locations), they get snatched up despite what we think are quick moves to try to put in an offer. In a weird and cool way, when I read the email from our realtor today that congratulated us on our good eye that keeps finding things in this slower market that get snatched up in 10 days or less, I suddenly had the chorus of "On Jordan's Stormy Banks" in my head: "I am bound for the promised land....."

And then, my brain switched gears and started singing Jerusalem My Happy Home (our version at CHBC doesn't have all the verses displayed on that link). And now, as I looked through Ben's Bible and all his 50 saved bulletins, I came across There Is A Happy Land, Hark! I Hear the Harps Eternal or Lo, He Comes with Clouds Descending (again, we don't sing all of the verses on this link), and I could go on w/ songs that CHBC regularly sings that remind us of our eternal home and the hope that we have ultimately in Christ.

The Lord really blessed me w/ His love today....reminding me to not get caught up in this world or the elusive American dream or to put stock in trying to be prepared but to remember that we already have a home...and not just a home that's perfect, but it's w/ God for eternity. It's so easy to get caught up in the day-to-day trivial activities, worries, and concerns, and to think that happiness will come when we feel like everything is all together and completed. But that's not where our happiness is. This world is not my home.....I have something better in store that God has already prepared for me.

John 14:2-3: “In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.”