Friday, December 3, 2010

Advent Day Three

I find myself looking forward to Christmas with new eyes this year. Of course "Jesus is the reason for the season" but it seems like this year, the more I try to instill that thought into our kids (over the glow of gifts), the more real this truth becomes to me. I guess it's an unexpected added benefit:-)

While I'm waiting for my Come Thou Long Expected Jesus book to arrive, I've been reading through a book that goes through a Carol a day on the 24 days leading up to Christmas. Today was God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. I always thought it was a catchy song, but I never understood the first line. They explained that "God rest ye merry" was an old English term that was asking God to keep someone joyful or merry, so essentially, the song is saying, "God bless you w/ joy." That made a lot more sense.....which really made the song to be a real comfort....especially after a long and weary week! B/c there's nothing to be dismayed at here on earth when we "remember Christ our Savior was born on Christmas day To save us all from Satan's power When we were gone astray."

It was fun (and at times, stressful) to decorate the Christmas tree with the girls. I had to wait until Ben got home from his trip......not b/c he requested it, but b/c the two of them ganged up on me and I couldn't get ornaments out of the box fast enough, while helping to keep fragile items out of their hands. Both of them really love the tree. Apparently, a certain 4 year old found our decorations to be lacking. She's spiced some things up as she sees fit. Since I'm really trying to take the time to get things out this year, the controlling side of me wants to put an end to the madness. However, I left the extra tree decorations up, and didn't worry about the lace scarf that sometimes hangs next to the gingerbread woman and sometimes is wrapped around the gingerbread woman. I also allowed the Christmas potholder mitten to be used as a sleeping bag for Cinderella.....apparently, she was cold.

No comments: