Well, it has been a year since Ben had a stroke. I can't say I've had moments where it's the first Sunday of the month, just like the night before his stroke, and we're getting everything set up and cleaned up for the Lord's Supper, coming home from church, and then crashing later that night in order to start the new week, and I start to think that it all feels eerily familiar. But, then, we wake up on Monday, and everything is normal still.
Ben often reminds me that he's had a stroke....when I tease him about something or I correct him on something. I asked him the other day if he was still going to do that when we are 90. He responded that it would be no less true at 90 than it is now. He has never lost his sense of humor!
We've both learned a lot this year, and we're hoping that the Lord will continue to use this reminder to us. I know that while Ben struggled w/ regaining his cognitive skills, he was reminded that his identity is in Christ and not in his abilities. I think our communication as a couple has grown this past year, and we've been reminded how short life really is and that we are not guaranteed tomorrow.
We've witnessed God's faithfulness and love this past year. So many people poured out their love and prayers on us. We're so thankful to God for His mercy to us this past year, but especially for His mercy to us in sending Jesus to die for our sins.
Ben sometimes has some minor language struggles, but he regained so much so quickly. We decided to not have the surgery to close his PFO....for now. We're waiting for the results of a study at UMUC (it just started last year). So, for now, he's simply taking an aspirin a day, for life.
Thanks for all your prayers this past year. We have definitely witnessed God's provision and kindness to us.
No comments:
Post a Comment