Today, some of my mommy guilt was lessened. I always fret that I'm not able to spend the same time w/ Naomi as I did w/ Rachel. I never pushed Rachel to learn her alphabet or colors or numbers. We just read a lot of alphabet books, and we talked about colors, shapes and numbers w/ her when we were interacting with her. So, shapes like octagon or pentagon were recognized seemingly early on for her.
Lately, as I've watched Naomi make spurts in her development (more words, higher levels of interaction, fine motor skills developing more, etc, etc), I've started to quasi-panic that I'm not able to spend the same time reading alphabet books and showing her red circles or blue squares.
But, alas, today, my fears were laid to rest. Rachel was, shall we say, a little challenging today, so when she asked for her number and alphabet flashcards, I quickly obliged and had her sit on a chair with them. I drifted over to the kitchen (that has a nice gate to keep the kids out when necessary....and that was a necessary moment). Then, I witnessed Rachel holding up the flashcards (from the height of the chair b/c she wouldn't want Naomi to actually get to them) and telling Naomi (in her best bossy voice) the number or the letter that was on the flashcard. I would have taken a picture, but I didn't want to disturb the lesson.
Granted, Naomi kinda ignored her (I have a feeling that may be the beginning of a pattern when the bossy voice is used), but I had a little bit of a sense that maybe everything was going to turn out okay.
No comments:
Post a Comment