Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Important Car Seat Features

I always thought we were getting a really great car seat when we purchased Rachel's Recaro. And perhaps we are, but that was when I was more concerned about things like safety and does it grow w/ her. Today, I realized that those are not the two most important features:) The true test of knowing if you got the most bang for your buck is this: Can you carry it into the house w/ the child still strapped into it so that you do not get vomit all over you, and even more importantly, how easy is it to take apart, clean out (why are there so many stinkin crevices in a simple car seat??????) and put it back together. I'd give the Recaro a C for this. The seat is really heavy....of course most things are w/ a 26lb child in it, but I was definitely muscling over 36 pounds down the hallway to our apartment. And while most things snapped off quasi-easily, I kinda felt like I shouldn't have to go find a screwdriver to get at certain parts of the seat. And I still needs Ben's help to unscrew one portion of the seat to get at an area that still needs cleaning. And, who glues squishy (ie, porous) foam to the seat?!?!?!!?! I miss her baby seat - one continuous cover that comes off and goes back on.....none of this multiple covers that overlap and gaps for straps to come through and different plastic pieces that are screwed together.

Let's just say, I have newfound respect for my super mom sister-in-law who has a child that gets car sick.....and has gotten sick en route to our house. At the time, I remember thinking, mmm, that's gotta stink but Kelly handled everything so well. I now realize that it really does stink;) So, mad props to Kelly, my hero:)

Well, I think it'd be safe to say that Rachel's fans are probably pretty happy to not have to see pictures of her today:) She had her 15 mo appt (the "episode" was on our way home) today, so I'll post her stats later.

4 comments:

Nanna & Pop Pop said...

Poor little one. We pray that she will soon be over this nasty bug. Give her a gentle hug for us. We pray, too, that you two won't catch it. May the Lord strengthen you all!

Anonymous said...

I second the "important features" for a car seat. After our last bout of vomit (only about a week and a half ago), I washed the booster seat cover...they are much easier to get off. HOwever, getting them back on is difficult if not impossible when the cover shrinks. AAAAAhhhh. So now they certain child must sit on hard plastic with scrunched up car seat cover behind her....which reminds me I really need to take another look at that. Anyway, you are in our prayers. Lots of love...The best Auntie in the whole wide world:-)

Anonymous said...

Can you put in a layer of plastic wrap or part of a garbage bag between the foam layer and cloth cover when putting it back together?

Definitely learning new things about motherhood everyday! Praise to the Lord who gives us strength everyday for your service to your children.

Lisa said...

Poor Rachel! Is she feeling any better today? I hope she is and that this passes quickly. It's bad enough getting shots...but to throw up in the same day is so unfair!