I know I'm not superstitious, but I couldn't help but be a tad weirded out last night. Four weeks ago yesterday, we did the exact same routine as last night.....went into church at 4:30 to help set up for the Lord's Supper. Then, he helped as a server during the Lord's Supper. We came home and watched some TV while he did something or other on his computer. Only thing different was that this morning, he didn't wake up disoriented and confused. Instead, he came out to the kitchen smiling.
I think I felt weird b/c it all was so surreal.....and at times, it still is surreal. I think it might be easier to wrap my head around the reality of the stroke if there were warning signs or apparent reasons for its occurrence (like cholesterol or blood pressure issues). We're still trying to pull at that thread. Navigating the various doctors is still a challenge too. Thankfully, Ben's speech therapist has been fantastic (that's a fancy word for great...just a shout out to Fancy Nancy), and I have seen a lot of progress for him. We've been really surrounded by wonderful people who have really loved us and cared for us.
Ben works for a great company and client who are happy to accept whatever hours he can do. We're hoping he can return for a few hours this week. We've enjoyed the feeling of an extended Saturday, but it will be helpful for both of us to have a sense of normal return too. God has blessed us w/ some wonderful family time. This weekend was especially enjoyable for us (more about that later!).
I have been thankful for the way that God has cared for us and watched over us. He's blessed us with this time to reflect about what we believe. It's been a reminder that we don't live to have our best life now....that our best life is to come when we're united with Christ. So, "though my heart and flesh may fail, there's an echo in my soul. I can sing, "It is well"".
With each week that passes, I do thank God for the life that He's given to Ben. I'm thankful that he's still here, and I'm confident that the Lord can use this season in our life for our good and His glory. We've appreciated all the prayers, cards, notes, calls, flowers, gift baskets, meals, and hugs:-). We still have recovering to do, but each time we open another card or email, we're continually reminded of God's love and provision for us.
2 comments:
Dad and I are so very thankful for the Lord's goodness to our children. Although there is much that we do not know and understand in all our circumstances, we can be confident that our Lord and Savior knows every detail, and He will never leave us nor forsake us. Great is His faithfulness! We love you all dearly!
Your words, Ben and Jill, are such a testimony to your faith and they are an incredible encouragement to me as you humbly bow before His soveriegnty. You have both shown a peace that passes understanding and I can not stop praising God for the evidence of your trust and eternal hope. We echo what mom and dad said - Great IS His faithfulness! Love you all! Dad
Post a Comment