Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Fear of Man

I got all of the items below for $7.66 out of pocket (1 Huggies diapers, 2 packs of wipes, 1 oragel, 1 container of baby food (just so I could hit a specific quota for a certain"deal"), 1 Febreze starter kit, 1 Febreze candle, 1 Johnson's baby wash, 1 CVS cotton scab, 1 CVS tylenol, and 1 Excedrin), and I received $20 worth of Extra Care Bucks (ECBs) towards my next CVS purchase. Not exactly 81 cents or 71 cents like my friend Lisa, but my last order was completely free after I made some returns, so I'm getting better. Plus, I can't buy a pack of diapers for 7 bucks, so I'll take it. I used 21.99 ECBs from my last purchase and 16.74 in manufacturers coupons.....all for a grand savings of $38.73.

But, b/c I messed up one deal and wound up 4 cents short of earning $10 in ECBs (hence the baby food container), I had to ask for them to refund and then re-ring the entire deal. I know my face was flushed, but it was worth the 10 bucks for me since the only reason I shop at CVS is b/c I can find such good deals. If the killer deals go away at CVS, I'm not shopping there. So, I sweated it out while thankfully, Rachel sat there quietly in the cart, and it worked out well in the end. It did take about 10-15 embarrassing minutes though.....which felt like a REALLY long time. I entertained ideas of switching CVS stores, but they're so nice at this one that I really don't want to do that. Therefore, I will swallow my pride and remember that it doesn't matter what man thinks of me. So, the CVS store manager and cashier may think that I'm a crazy couponing bargain hunter cheapskate, but that's ok. I apologized numerous times and acknowledged it was my mistake.....so they can't say I was mean.

4 comments:

Nanna & Pop Pop said...

Okay, so now you need to teach your Mother how to do this. Wow, I am so proud of you, Jill!
Love, Mom

Fritz Gang said...

I am proud of you too! I can relate to how you were feeling...because I don't like awkward situations...but good for you. I really need to understand how this system works...do you use your ECB's, or manufacturer's coupons first? And when they say you need a certain $ amount is that the retail value before the manufacturer's coupons or after?

Lisa said...

Well done, Jill! I totally hear you on the fear-of-man aspect of it. Every time I walk away with my bags of stuff for a dollar or two, after sometimes asking for price checks first to make sure that I've chosen the exact product listed for ECBs, I'm pretty sure they all think I'm some really cheap psycho lady! But you're right, that doesn't matter. What matters is how many Shampoos you got for free while you're there. =)

The Hamilton Family said...

Hey Joy -

I use manufacturers coupons and then my ECBs, but I give everything to them at once, but just in that order. And, at CVS (or at least the one I go to), the certain amount needed is the retail value. So, I (and my friend Lisa) go for the deals that earn the most ECBs and then we try to drive down the $$ spent out of pocket by using manufacturers coupons. Then, we pay w/ our ECBs earned from our last trip. The goal is usually to spend less than a buck, which is what my friend Lisa does really well, as well as, the lady who writes www.moneysavingmom.com - they're the masters at this stuff:)I'm getting better. Today, I picked up a prescription for Ben that I transferred there, so I got a $25 gift card to CVS too! Then, I had to buy some milk, and the same cashier checked me out.....I actually couldn't look her in the eyes. I'm not sure if she recognized me since I was in a suit on my way home from work and I didn't have Rachel w/ me. Oh well...I guess I really didn't get over my fear of man:)

~Jill