Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Humility

It was one of those mornings today. You know the kind....the ones where it doesn't seem to matter what you do, there seems to be a glitch in everything and it takes 2x as long to do everything. I thought that I would load up multiple errands to do in one trip....w/ a toddler (and I didn't pack any snacks or toys - where is my head?). So, we go to Harris Teeter for a few groceries, and we're off to an ok start. Rachel loves Harris Teeter - oddly enough. I think it's b/c the lights aren't as glaring as they are at Shoppers. But anyway, so far so good and it's now 9AM.

I had a return to make at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, which is right next door, but they didn't open until 9:30. No problem b/c Starbucks is across the parking lot, and I needed another bag of coffee. So, I got a cup of coffee too (don't worry, Ben, it's free when you buy a bag of coffee, which is counted in the grocery line in the budget!). Rachel was a little fussier at this point, but happy when I gave her some water (which was also free!). So, we head back to BB&B....only to have to stand at the door for the next 10 minutes. Rachel was delighted....did I mention I didn't pack snacks and toys? I think I looked like a bargain shopper waiting for the doors to open.....only to make a return. Meanwhile, Rachel continued to be delighted at sitting in the stroller (I hope you're catching my sarcasm!).

So, then we head to the bank to deposit a few checks and Ben's 90 dollars worth of change. That's right, I said 90 dollars. He kindly reminded me Monday night that I couldn't take this deposit to the drive thru.....it'd be like that one commercial where the drive thru bank tube shot straight through the wall behind the tellers due to the change being added into it - I think it was a SouthWest Airlines commercial (one of those "Wanna get away" ads). When getting out of the car, one of the nickel wraps burst open when it rolled out of the car....thankfully, it did that before I unbuckled Rachel, so I was able to get everything back together. I lugged a toddler on one hip (she was through w/ the stroller at this point!) and my tub of coins (did I mention that it was 90 dollars worth...ie heavy?) inside.

Finally, my errands (really, that's only a few of them but that was all I could handle) are done, and I'm getting back on 395 N and I get behind a really slow car. I don't understand how anyone can go at least 5 miles under the speed limit on 395....especially since the speed limit is only 55 MPH. It was after 10AM!!! Traffic was flying! I'm a bit exasperated at this moment and was only on the highway for a short clip and cars were flying around us, making it inconvenient to try to pass. So, I feel my chest tightening and road rage coming out in me. I tend to beep at people like my mom does.....just tap on the place where the horn is and if no sound escapes, well then, oh well (even though I rip on her for doing this).

Well, this morning, I morphed into a tried and true DC driver. I waited until I was on my exit ramp and saw that this slow driver was not exiting, and I laid on the horn...for at least 10 seconds. Then, from the back seat, I hear "beep, beep, beep!" Oh horror....what have I done?!?!? The Lord definitely has a way of providing opportunities for me to learn humility.....to remember that it doesn't matter what the circumstances are, I still need to act and respond in a right manner.....a manner that I want my sweet girl to learn. The Lord also provided a good laugh for me too....helped get rid of the tension and showed how ridiculous it all was.

Here's our little beeper:-)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I was exhausted reading that! I'm glad you made it back. Did I mention Kathryn says "Beep, Beep, Beep!" too? Whoops. Between that and her "Yikes!" people are going to wonder what goes on around here.

Anonymous said...

*hugs!* we've all had one of those mornings. NJ is also a beep beep enthusiast.