Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Put Off and Put On

Why is it that we want what we aren't supposed to have? And why do we park ourselves right in front of the things that we shouldn't touch? I'm often frustrated b/c Rachel will sit in front of the TV center and stare at it.....I can see her leaning forward and then leaning back...deciding if touching the entertainment center or any of its contents is worth the consequences. How much does my life reflect that at times? She does the same thing w/ playing w/ our books. We'd be a little more relaxed about her playing w/ our books if they didn't wind up torn or in her mouth....despite telling her to be gentle, careful, etc. So, our bookcase is a no-no, and so is my stash of books next to my living room chair.

This morning, Rachel and I had a few rounds on my stash of books. It was like a moth to a flame for some reason. Kelly (Ben's sister) and I were just discussing yesterday about training our children what is wrong, as well as, what is right, which is something that Ginger Plowman highlights really well in Don't Make Me Count to Three. I used to walk Rachel over to her bookcase after correcting her for playing w/ our books/bookcase. I guess I'd fallen out of habit, but today, I had an Aha! moment. My stash of books was in a basket.....so after our 3rd or 4th time of correction for playing w/ my book stash, I dumped her toys out of her basket (looked identical to the one that housed my books - how convenient!) and put a number of her books in it and sat her in the chair w/ the basket next to her.

Well, the Lord rewarded me w/ 20-30 minutes of time:) She sat next to her basket of books for at least 20 minutes, and then she moved to the couch, so I moved the basket w/ her. She has not been back to my book basket since and both of us are not exasperated. Of course, it's not about creating win-win strategies (sorry to lapse into work-speak), but rather, it's about training her in righteousness. Sometimes, it's easy (and frustrating for both of us) to continually be saying "no-no, Rachel" or "don't do that" etc, rather than correcting what's wrong and then training them what is right, as is outlined in Ephesians 4:22-24: "You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."

Here she is....happily enjoying the result of obedience:

1 comment:

Grandma said...

I found that consistency in training your children is one of the most difficult things to do. May God richly bless you both as you train Rachel, and may Rachel be a very quick learner. I continually pray that this will be so. Love you all!