Well, tonight, I made Meatballs and Homemade Tomato Sauce over rotini noodles. Sounds good, huh? I'm sure by my title you answered no to that;-) 1 out of 3 family members liked it....and neither Ben nor I liked it. Rachel gobbled up a pretty big serving size to our surprise....while Ben and I choked down what we had dished out.
I mean, I thought the sauce would be bland, but I guess I thought it'd be better - after all, it was homemade! The only thing I skipped from the recipe was the green pepper and white wine, and I added Italian Seasoning. I think I'll look harder for a low sodium version of tomato sauce. I saw a few that were around 250mg/serving, but some of the jars were like 8 bucks a piece - yikes! So, that's why I thought I'd try my hand at the sauce first. I'm willing to make a longer simmering version of sauce, but all the recipes I looked at were still pretty high in sodium. So, if I'm going to put in a day of sauce-making, I'd like to have a lot less sodium in it than what I can buy on the shelf!
As for the turkey meatballs.....I should have known better. I didn't love them, but they weren't bad. But Ben can sniff out ground turkey from a mile away, so I should have figured they wouldn't be a hit. Guess I need to figure out what to do w/ the rest of the turkey......I was crafting in my mind a way to make turkey burgers that he might like but I think serving turkey burgers would just ruin burgers for him;-)
At least noodles and rice are sodium free......but it's been a bit challenging to find sauces, mixes, or flavor that's low in sodium. I really don't want to be serving (or eating for that matter!) steamed veggies, rice or noodles, and a grilled piece of meat for the next 4 months! I have 16 weeks left to go.....I don't think I'd last 2 days w/ that diet. So, feel free to post ideas in the comments.......just consider this a good way to keep me healthy.
2 comments:
Jill, have you tried Francesco Rinaldi traditional pasta sauce - NO SALT ADDED. I've found it close to the other pasta sauces. It is good. Sometimes I "doctor" it up w/Italian seasoning,onion,garlic,etc. For quite a while I've tried to lessen our sodium intake and have some other ideas for you. It is hard though as it seems everything is loaded w/ salt. Will share with you as I remember or at Thanksgiving.
Love you, MOM
so is 250mg sodium per serving good for you? i'm keeping my eye out.
Post a Comment