I was reading a simplified version of A Little Princess to Rachel the other day - per her request. We got to the part that described Miss Minchin: "She was just like her house: tall, dull and ugly. She had large, cold, fishy eyes and a large, cold, fishy smile."
Rachel: "Mommy, where's the fish?"
I started to explain the use of adjectives. What? Thankfully, I stopped before I got too far and tried to explain how that was just describing how she looked. She only asked me to read her a book.....I didn't think I'd have to explain to an almost 3 year old that the use of fish in a sentance doesn't mean that there will be a fish on the page.
1 comment:
It's so wonderful how she listens and thinks about what she hears. This will serve her well as she grows up. How exciting!
Post a Comment