I traveled to Phoenix, AZ last week for training on the Dillon Minigun (all work related). For those who are interested (i.e. the 1%), the Minigun shoots 3,000 rounds per minute (about 50 rounds every second). For two days we learned about the Minigun (i.e. operating it, clearing jams, avoiding cookoffs, cleaning the weapon system), but the highlight was when we got to shoot it on the third day. Not only did I get to shoot the Minigun, but I got to shoot it out of a Huey. Any one of those by itself would be a great day at work, but both at the same time was awesome. I took a lot of pictures, but will only post a few (for the sake of the 99%).
Here are a couple of pictures of the Huey beforehand...


Here are a couple of pictures of me getting the weapons system ready for shooting and then flying to the range. I had a smile on my face for most of the day...a fact that lead to a lot of sand in my mouth :-)


This is a short 9 second video of me shooting the Minigun. There are a couple of other videos and a lot more photos, but I think I've lost the 99% readership by now.We will now return you to your regularly scheduled programing of Rachel doing cute stuff.
8 comments:
Dad and I both(yes, I think I'm in the 1%, but you know how I delight in pics of little Rachel)enjoyed seeing pics of your training. How exciting it was for you. Dad would love to hear all about it, and then you two can sit down and watch the military channel (and there is where I fall into the 99%)
Pretty cool, I showed your nephew who now thinks you are really cool. Although, he asked what you were shooting at and I told him probably the ground and I think he became a little less impressed, but anyway..... Look like an awesome time (if you are in the 1%). Lots of love
Son.
You really do not have to go to these extremes to prove your point - HALO DOES have practical work related value, OK? I give up.
What's next - a little hide and seek in the canyons of Idaho with F-15's?
Dad
We were actually shooting at cars and barrels on the ground, so no, we weren’t just shooting at the ground. Also, I do think Halo came in handy. When I see you next, I’ll show you a short video of someone who probably didn’t have Halo experience.
I'm glad to be part of the 1% that loved this - nicely done Ben!
Now, if I could get Shira to take photos like this when she travels, we'd be all set.
Wow, I'm going to go watch that video again...
I'm definitely in the 1% (can't help it being raised a Navy brat!) Great stuff, Ben!
I think I underestimated the voice that the 1% has!!!
…And, Wow…I got a comment from the Godfather of Blogging (Ben Simon himself). For those who don’t know, Ben was the one who first got Jill and I hooked on blogging…so if you enjoy the blog (or if you have spun off other blogs after reading our blog), you have him to thank.
Glad you enjoyed the post Ben.
Ben -
You're too kind!
You out-cute my blog any day. And with live action machine guns, I just can't compete.
The teacher has become the student. ;-)
Seriously, you and Jill have done an awesome job!
-Ben
Post a Comment