Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sparrow

Most nights when we put Rachel to bed, we listen to some hymns that are loaded on to my (really it's now hers....I haven't used it for myself in about 2 years) MP3 player (no, it's not an iPod....I was a little anti-the Apple bandwagon there for a while). Ben has been putting her to bed a lot lately, as she is becoming quite the Daddy's girl. So, they've narrowed their hymn selection mainly down to 2 hymns: Be Thou My Vision and His Eye is on the Sparrow.

What's really sweet is that she asks for these 2 hymns every night when we sit down in my rocker. She says, "Vision!" and then when "vision" is almost done, she starts saying, "Sparrow!" The first night I was back to bedtime routine, I wasn't sure what she was asking for, and then Ben was telling me about her song selections one night and it hit me that she was asking for "Sparrow" and I never made the connection.

What I love is that she sings along w/ some parts of the song....like when they sing "I know he watches me," she sings "I know" every now and then. When I listen to "When Peace Like a River", she also sings along w/ different portions of that refrain too. Anywho, the version I downloaded actually only has the first verse (and it's a bit out-sung, if you know what I mean), but I thought that I'd copy all of the words in here - I pray you're encouraged by the words like I was this evening.


Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heav’n and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant Friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain:I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free,For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

1 comment:

Nanna & Pop Pop said...

Amen! Thank you for sharing these verses.