Monday, March 30, 2009

Naomi is One Month Old

This past Thursday, Naomi turned 1 month old. Time has flown and gone slowly at the same time. We went to the pediatrician again on Friday to follow-up, and the good news is that she's packing on the pounds. She's now 11 pounds, so they don't think her tummy troubles and long crying spells are due to an anatomical issue, which means no surgery or anything. He also doesn't think she has colic, but he does still think she has acid reflux and a dairy allergy. Thankfully, she should be better equipped to digest dairy around 8 weeks, so for the next 4 weeks, I'm going to remove dairy from my diet again to see if that makes any difference for her.

I feel bad for her....she's obviously not just trying to yell at us....she seems to be quite bothered - either by gulping/gasping/crying from the reflux or by having tummy pains from trying to digest anything dairy. The pediatrician switched up her medicine and increased the # of times/day, so I'm hoping that helps her w/ her reflux. In a few days, hopefully, we'll see a difference too w/ the decrease in dairy from my diet. Thankfully, she usually sleeps for a full five hour increment each night, and when that five hour increment doesn't follow a three hour crying spell, both Ben and I fell better equipped to sleep and are more rested for the next day. We do get some nights that don't involve long crying spells, so that has been helpful.

The Lord has given us the strength for each day and each night, and we've been quite blessed by friends and family who have prayed for us, made meals for us, and cared for us. I've realized that I'm in quite a wonderful church w/ friends who email me encouragement and who come over to help w/ Rachel and Naomi and provide adult conversation. In the midst of all the crying and feeling overwhelmed, I do feel blessed.

2 comments:

Nanna & Pop Pop said...

She is so adorable. We continue to pray that the reflux problems will be solved and little Naomi will have calmer days and nights. Poor little one:-) May the Lord continue to strengthen you both. You are truly blessed. Great is His faithfulness!

Mark and Ashley said...

Hey Ben and Jill-

You guys have been in our thoughts and prayers lately!! We hope that her reflux gets to a point where she is not in so much pain. IT's so hard when there is nothing you can do to ease their pain. We can't wait for your first visit to PA!!