Wednesday, May 23, 2007

6 Month Stats

Rachel's pediatrician was quite pleased with how Rachel is growing. He noted that she will be tall, since she's currently checking in at 28" long. When I told him that Ben is 6'5", and his "little" brother is 6'8", it seemed to put things in perspective for him. I'm very glad that I bought the car seat that goes up to 30lb and 32" long.....I had a feeling that I would be needing it. She also weighs 20lb 6oz (which is a little less than what we weighed her in at home); nonetheless, it's in the high 90s for the percentile range. Her round noggin is 18"...obviously bursting with smartness and cuteness:)

As for the shots, well, the nurse this time wasn't good like the last one. She didn't move that quickly, and the shots bothered Rachel from the start. It could be that the whole appointment took almost an hour and a half due to waiting around, but that could just be my tension transferring to her - arg! I really like our pediatrician, but I think it's hard to find a good accompanying staff...their response to me on things is "I don't know" and I know that in their mind they're also saying, "and I don't care." Oh well...thanks for letting me vent:) Anywho, Rachel recovered quickly from the shots, but then, the nurse left the oral vaccine until last saying that it sooths them - what??? It's her last dose of the oral vaccine, so I just said whatever (trying to remove my irritation and attitude from my response).

Next stats update will be @ 9 months:)

6 comments:

Nanna & Pop Pop said...

I'm glad your pediatrician's group is nice. I liked the 2 I met. It's hard to wait that long for the appointment, but it helps when the dr.'s are very competent AND nice. Wish the staff was better, but I think that is mostly the same all over, unfortunately. Glad the shots are over and Rachel won't have to go back for 3 months. Give her a kiss from Nanna:-)

Fritz Gang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fritz Gang said...

Hi there!! Rachel looked so stunning in her shades!! Cameron was extremely sensitive to light when he was Rachel's age. I can't believe Rachel is six months old already!! I'm sorry you both had an unpleasant visit. When Cameron was little I had a wonderful family doctor... but he has moved away since and I haven't quite found anyone quite as good as he was. It is awful when the nurses take their good old time giving shots when your kid is screaming and you are trying to hold them down and comfort them at the same time. Note to self...communication and a quick steady hand is useful(if I ever get to become the nurse administering the shots). The last nurse that gave Hunter his shots was wonderful. She was quick and even gave him a messy icepop afterward...which he proceeded to get all over the place as we left the doctor's office...BUT he WAS SMILING thru the tears!!

Lisa Law said...

What oral vaccination has Rachel been getting?? Kathryn didn't have one of those...now I'm curious! I know what you mean about the extra long doctors appointments. It messes with naptime and is so frustrating! I love Kathryn's doctor, but she's always running really late. I think we're going to start seeing a Nurse Practitioner at the same office...we saw her for a sick appointment once, and she was smart, nice, and ON TIME. We were in and out of there in less than half an hour. A friend told me that she did some investigation and found out they give doctors 15 minutes per patient and NPs get 30...so if your doctor is patient and answers questions, it probably means he/she is behind, and that's why the appointments take so long. But an NP can take her time and still be on time since most people want to see a doctor. Anyway, it's just a theory, but I'm going to try it out! Kathryn's 9-month appt is coming up with the doctor, but I think I'm going to schedule the one after that with the NP to see how it goes! I'm glad Rachel's growing so well...she's such a cutie pie!

The Hamilton Family said...

Hey Lisa -

Rachel had 3 doses (2, 4, and 6 months) of the rotovirus (sp?) vaccine...which was oral. It might be included in the shots for other vaccines....I think I've heard of that too....

The NP is a good idea. Usually her pediatrician is quick in getting to us, but of course, not yesterday. Her pediatrician's father is in the same practice, and we actually stopped going to him b/c he was slow due to having GW med students trailing him. Both were great, but I thought we'd start going to the son so we wouldn't run into the med student slowdown. Oh well:) I have to remember to have patience!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the docs. I agree that it is nice when you find a doc and staff that are competent AND nice, but usually you will get one and not the other. Then there are the gems out there who are neither- (the one really bad dermatologist we had a while back). I usually try to book NJ's appt for the first in the morning or first after their lunch hour so that they don't run too late with him.

Rachel is a big girl! Watch out, WNBA!