Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Bad Kitty

I guess I prefer to have a bad kitty at the vet's office than a bad child at the pediatrician's office, but really, I felt really bad today when I took Puma to the vet. For starters, I look like a really bad pet owner to them b/c it's been 4 years since Puma has been to the vet (don't judge me!). I was really good about things for the first year or so of his life, but then I didn't realize that so much time had lapsed. The poor guy got like 6 vaccinations today but other than that, from what they could tell, he seemed in great health. Unfortunately, they couldn't give him his booster.....b/c they need to SEDATE him. Yeah, Puma hisses, growls, and generally suffers from a proud and haughty spirit when it comes to going to the vet (maybe this is why I let it skip my mind to take him the past 4 years). They said his jaw and teeth look great from the view they got......to which I replied, "so, was that when he hissed at you?" and she smiled and nodded. I did assure them that he's done this before and it's not them.

Now, he's a good kitty w/ Rachel. She puts her head on him and pets him as gently as toddler-possible, but he puts up w/ a lot. He never suffered any major issues w/ Rachel, and whenever I'm pregnant, he actually gets a little more affectionate w/ me. Despite the fact that I picked him out 5 years ago when Ben was away on travel for work (I had his permission, don't worry!), he is kinda Ben's cat b/c Ben is more the cat person between the two of us. I think I'm just not 100% an animal person, but if I'm going to like animals, I do like cats since they're a little more low maintenance......most of the time.

So, when Puma goes in for his booster shot in 3 weeks, guess who gets to take him? Not me. Of course, they'll be sedating him anyway and probably won't have to stick a thermometer anywhere when Ben takes him, but I think I'm relinquishing this task to my husband. I'll take the kids for their shots....they just cry and seek comfort....they don't require being muzzled and they don't hiss and growl at me - yet.

Thankfully, one of my friends watched Rachel.....so I didn't have to try to hold a hissing cat and keep Rachel out of the items in the vet's office.....while pregnant;-) Poor Puma.....gone are the days when two entire scrapbooking pages are dedicated to him. I can't remember the last time I took his picture......it was probably like 2 years ago. We still have a lot of fun w/ the cat. This past weekend, we found that moving the area rug in our living room while he was on it was especially entertaining for us. He did the four legs off the ground jumping w/ his back legs going higher. He now won't touch the area rug.......if only we could figure out a way to make the new basement and upstairs carpeting move so he keeps his paws off that too. We have been blessed w/ a fun and feisty cat, but this morning was one of those times when I wish I had picked out a cat that was low key and boring.....as opposed to the only one in the pet shop that batted his little white paws out of the cage at me.

No comments: