Friday, October 31, 2008

Unprepared

"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings." 1 Peter 5:8-9

After some ups and downs over the past few weeks.....just the normal, everyday frustrations, I was mulling over why I was feeling so flustered over everything. One morning, I had to let all the discipline issues go and just wait until I was better prepared to deal w/ everything after Rachel's nap. And then, the ah-hah light went on in my head. I've been waking up each day expecting to be in a good mood, expecting for things to go smoothly, expecting Rachel to obey right away, all the way, and w/ a happy heart, and I've been expecting things to work out for me - whatever the need was. Now, I wouldn't normally admit this, but really, my deep down expectations were that I would be waking up to a perfect world and a perfect me.....even though I don't buy into the American dream and the concept of your best life now and I know that the best life is still to come, I still am prone to thinking the way the world does.

What a revelation.....what poor expectations I was holding on to......forgetting that we live in a sinful and fallen world. I will need to be prepared for things to be wrong and upsetting and hard, and I shouldn't be surprised at this but rather prepared to resist the devil and how tempting it is to respond in sin.