Ben got me Carrie Underwood's new CD for Christmas. Yes, that means I like American Idol. I don't like all of the contestants (cough, Lambert is blah, cough), but I have watched the show since Kelly Clarkson won it.....which was during first year of marriage in our little apartment/townhouse in Johnstown. One nice thing about Johnstown, PA was a monthly rent that was almost 1/8th of our current mortgage.
At any rate, I really like Carrie's new CD. I loved watching her on AI, and I always look forward to each CD. This CD may be my favorite. Of course, it has some "fun" songs, but this one song, Temporary Home" makes me tear up every time I listen to it. It's last verse has had such an impact on me. Maybe it was the various struggles that we faced in 2009 that have helped the words of the chorus strike home, but whatever it is, it was an important reminder to Ben and me.
It'd be easy to question why Ben had a stroke and to wonder why us. Although it's been trying at times w/ wanting the doctor appointments to be over and being ready to move past this, we've been encouraged by God's love and grace in so many different ways. So, I guess that this song was a reminder of this verse in John 16:33 - "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
Even better than exchanging gifts this Christmas was the reminder that Jesus came as a little baby to take on my sin and die in my place. And in the end, He rose and will come and unite us to Him....where our true home will ultimately be. Here's the last verse of the song and the chorus that makes me tear up each time (although you really should listen to it to get the full effect):
Old man, hospital bed
The room is filled with people he loves
And he whispers don't cry for me
I'll see you all someday
He looks up and says "I can see God's face"
"This is my temporary Home
It's not where I belong
Windows and rooms that I'm passin' through
This was just a stop,on the way To where I'm going
I'm not afraid because I know this was
My temporary home.
If you want to hear the song, you can watch the video clip here.
1 comment:
Mom and I can not believe the mercy God has shown us in our children: Kelly, Dan, Ben, you (Jill), Joel and Anna. We thank God continually for your parents and their Godly influence on your lives and bless His name for His graciousness to us and to our children. Nothing in this life can match the overwhelming blessing of children who walk with the Lord!! We love each of you!
Dad
Post a Comment