This morning, I attended the "Parenting" core seminar. We watched a short video in a series on parenting by Paul Tripp. What caught me the most was when he said "God was a god of the mundane" and that "if God doesn't rule the mundane things in your life, He doesn't rule you." He mentioned that nothing will be written down about us, and generations from now, no one will remember our names (echoing the "Why I Work" post). This is one of the most important aspects of parenting...to remember that our entire lives should be centered around God; not just on Sundays or during devotions, but during the mundane. My prayer is that I will help build an awareness in my children that God is in everything.
Mark Dever delivered the morning service on Luke 12. It's interesting how I think that each sermon he delivers is his best one ever (probably because I am convicted more and more), but I strongly believe this was a powerful message. If you all have a moment, I encourage you to download it for free on the CHBC audio website. Mark started by asking what a "Hallmark" father would look like. Would it be someone who is successful, earns a lot of money, has no fear, and still has time for family? OR is it someone who is fearful of God, is marked not by how much money he has, but by how much he has given away for God's kingdom, and who is confident in God's character? Following are the 3 points from his outline:
1. Who do you fear most: God or man? On this point, Mark explained how a "fear of man" leads to hypocrisy now and constant anxiety about the future. We all try to please people...it is our sinful nature. However, we weren't made to fear man. Fearing man makes us exhausted because it is a fleeting goal. We can do all of the "good" things that may earn man's praise (for a moment), but no one go to heaven because of what they have done for the Lord...rather it is because of what He has done for us.
2. What do you trust most: God or money? Earthly wealth only temporarily hides our poverty before God. Do we care for our own physical health and prosperity rather than our spiritual health? Are we generous with what resources God has given us (see Proverbs 3:9)? It is important to note that salvation does not come by being generous, but rather generosity should be a mark of salvation. We must live joyfully despite all trials and tribulations. Even the world can be joyful when they have health, money, etc., but the world should question why we are so joyful despite these things. True joy can only be found in Jesus Christ.
3. Whom do you most want to please: God or yourself? Everyone is worshiping either God or themselves. With increased knowledge comes increased responsibility. We must be confident that we are being faithful in whatever tasks God has put before us. Does it please us to avoid the suffering that following Christ brings? Following God is worth the pain.
As a father, my prayer is (more than good grades, sports achievements, going to college, etc.) that my child - and Lord willing...children - would have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and have an awareness of God in everything they see and do. With this end in mind, my duty as a father is to accurately reflect our Heavenly Father to them and increase their awareness of God so long as God gives me breath.
Thankfully, this is the duty that my father has taken up since I was born. There were so many times that I did not make this duty easy by ignoring Proverbs 1:8 and questioning and fighting his correction. With joyful tears, I praise God that my father did not cast aside his duty in raising me. He would be the first to admit he was not perfect, but he is an excellent model of my Heavenly Father, and I pray that I will be able to achieve half of his spiritual wisdom and guidance.
A Happy Father's Day especially to my Dad and to other fathers. Proverbs 3:12 - "For whom the LORD loves He corrects, just as a father the son in whom he delights."
3 comments:
We're so thankful that you, Ben, are the father of our dear grand-daughter. Like you and Jill, our prayer is that she will love the Lord and walk in His ways all the days of her life.
Son,
I am moved to tears by your comments and, belive it or not, speechless.
I love you, son.
Dad
Excellent, excellent post, Ben. I hope you had a wonderful Father's Day.
Post a Comment